The Downtown Dreamer: Food Friday: Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sage

Friday, November 22, 2013

Food Friday: Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sage

My favourite food by far is pasta. I'm pretty sure I could eat pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That's how much I love it. If it wasn't so deliciously carb filled, I think I could live off of it forever.



Another thing I love is pumpkin. I've had a mild pumpkin obsession over the last few weeks (read: years). Every Fall, I make a conscious effort to overuse pumpkin until I'm sick of it. That way I don't miss it during the Winter and Summer months. Weird, right?



The other day I was on Pinterest and saw the most gorgeous picture of a pumpkin pasta dish.
My first thought was, "Whaaaat?" For this pumpkin and pasta obsessed girl, I was elated. I had never thought of combining pumpkin in a pasta dish. I used to think that pumpkin was only good in pies and baked goods, but boy was I wrong!

The picture made my mouth water, but as fate would have it, there wasn't a recipe attached...just a beautiful picture to tease my tastebuds. So, I went in search of the perfect recipe. I wanted something that was both flavourful and creamy, but not heavy. It also had to be easy to make. Here's what I found.






Ingredients
Adapted from Chef Chloe

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups almond milk
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons maple syrup
3 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
8-10 Sage leaves(extra for garnish)
Penne Pasta (you decide how much you want)

Directions
For the Pasta: Bring salted water to a boil, add pasta & cook until desired doneness. Drain and return to pot.

Next, make the Pumpkin Cream Sauce :
First, heat olive oil in a large pan. Add onions and saute until soft. Then, add garlic and sage leaves. Sauté for a few minutes. Remove from heat. Allow it to cool before putting it in the blender or food processor.

In a blender, add the onion/sage mixture, pumpkin, tomato paste, milk, nutmeg, maple syrup, salt & pepper and cayenne pepper. Blend until smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down the sides.
I had to improvise during this step as the sauce was a little too chunky for my liking. So, feel free to add additional pumpkin, tomato puree or milk to suit your tastes.

When the sauce is done, return it to a pot or pan to heat it up. Next, add pasta, plate and serve !
Don't forget to garnish with fresh sage.

*Note: This recipe makes a lot of sauce. You'll have leftovers for at least a week.



The best part of doing a food post/photo shoot is that I get to eat whatever I make once I'm done. And, you better believe that I ate this WHOLE plate. Then sopped up the extra sauce with bread. I couldn't let any of it go to waste...I think I might have a problem.



What's your favourite seasonal food or meal?

Till Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment